Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring To-Do List . .

It is still pretty cold and wet to get out and train as much as I’d like so time to accomplish some other things that are on my To-Do List before spring.

It is a little overwhelming when you start looking for a sports watch. I wanted one with an interval timer for training with run/walk sets. I can use my regular watch but I know there’s an easier way. After “googling around”  I found out I can use a Gymboss interval timer for about $20 or a sports watch with an interval timer plus a lot more options but much more expensive. I ordered the Gymboss from Amazon and it just came. It was easy to set up. Now I’ll be ready to start interval training in another month or so. (Run 1 min, walk 3 min - repeat 6 times, etc.)

I just moved up a notch in the area of running music! I was given an i-Pod Shuffle today and it is awesome. Thanks, Mary! Now it is all loaded with music from my old mp3 player and some new stuff so I’m ready to roll. When I first started using an mp3 last year I just loaded it with songs I liked. I soon learned that I wanted the music beats to match my running or walking pace. Find a song that has a good beat for you and determine the BPM (beats per minute) by counting out the beats for 15 seconds and multiplying that number by 4. In iTunes you can download beaTunes 2.1.14 at Apple.com and it will calculate and assign a BPM for every song in your library. Or you can go to MixMeister.com and download a free BPM analyzer and drag your songs into the program to learn their BPM.

Next comes this year’s running shoes. The life of a running shoe is about 300 - 450 miles. I added up my miles from last year’s training chart, January through October, and was surprised that I walked/ran 483.4 miles! For me that works out to a new pair each spring. Another surprising thing is that last Jan and Feb the weather was a lot milder and by now I was well into my training for the June Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll 1/2 marathon. Yikes! This year it is on June 25 and I will be there again with our kids.

Fairhaven Runners is the best running shoe store in our area so I will head down there to get some help with new shoes. I know they will be more expensive there but with the professional fitting I think it will be worth it for me this time. My lost toenails are growing back and look like they will be fine -  but I don’t want that to happen again this year!

2 comments:

  1. you are pretty cool! have you listened to "Where Are We Running?" by Lenny Kravitz? I like when it comes on my random playlist when I'm on the treadmill, especially if I just happen to be running at the time! I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I just listened to it on line and it's my speed so I'll definitely put that one on! Any more suggestions? :)

    ReplyDelete