| Bellingham Bay Marathon - Sept 25, 2011 just across the finish line |
Saturday night it was rainy and stormy but it cleared up in the morning, just long enough for the race -- except for very strong wind off the bay with gusts up to 40 mph! Unfortunately, most of the way we were running into the wind. This was another new running experience for me. As I said on face book, my running music song: "Running Against the Wind" definitely has a new meaning for me now.
Our son-in-law, Eric, raced again and also had his best time yet! ..Can't help but wonder how much better our times would have been without the wind! We had a great support/cheering section: Deb, Duane, Dave & Erin, and our grand kids. It was fun to be running along and see them holding up signs and cheering for us in several places along the route.
The Bellingham Bay race has been growing in popularity and this year there were about 3,000 runners. I will definitely do it again next September. I've been doing two races a year in June and September but now I'm checking out the Whidbey Island Marathon in April and may add that to my schedule. I know I am fortunate at my age to not have any problems with aches or pains that keep me from running. Starting out at age 62 was a bit of a challenge but it is going well and I want to keep this up as long as I can. AND.. if you go back and read about where my blog name comes from, I haven't lost any more toenails since last year! :)
It was a perfect day of family fun. After the race there were hugs, snacks & photos then we ate pizza and watched Seahawks Football. And. . . the Hawks won!
--------------
Since an album of pictures from this race was posted on face book (go to my page and scroll down) I won't add them here for now..
Great job, Kathy! That wind was something else!
ReplyDelete