Monday, February 7, 2011

Time for spring training

Monday Jan 17
It has been raining hard for several days and there is a lot of flooding around town.Today the weather is finally clear so I dug out my running pants and went out for my first walk since October. I had to make a few detours from my normal route in order to get past a lot of standing water but I walked 3 miles in 48 minutes. My right hip was bothering me a bit half way through so I slowed down some but had a refreshing easy walk. I hope to keep this up now and walk several days a week, weather permitting, in preparation for when my serious training begins for half marathons this summer and fall.

I must get down to the athletic store soon, have them measure my feet for proper fit and get a new pair of running shoes so hopefully this year my new toenails will survive. I lost four toenails this winter.The Easy Spirit Walk Run shoes I've been getting a J C Penny's have felt comfortable but apparently they are not exactly right for me for actual running. I’ve read that your feet slide forward when you run and this bruises the toes damaging the nails. Also, if your socks are too heavy your feet will swell too much and that can cause damage, too. So I need to figure out the right combination - shoes & socks..

No comments:

Post a Comment