A couple years ago I began walking regularly for about an hour 4 or 5 days a week because my doctor told me I had to lower my cholesterol, triglyceride level and blood pressure. High triglycerides is a heredity problem in our family and my number for that was 500 - dangerously high! I don’t like to take any drugs of any kind but knew this was serious, so I decided I would first try fixing this myself.
After a lot of research, I settled on a cholesterol-lowering diet plan: Cholesterol Down by Dr.Janet Bond Brill. In this program you actually add nine foods to your regular diet plus 30 minutes of walking a day. I had been eating low-fat and healthy for years and didn’t have a weight problem but some things were missing in my diet and I needed more exercise.
After three months on the Cholesterol Down plan, all my numbers were down to normal without taking any drugs. I was amazed that it really worked! By this time I was enjoying the routine of getting up and going for a walk to start the day.This evolved into walking a half marathon and now I’m totally hooked and do two half marathons a year. There’s nothing like the satisfaction of crossing that finish line and being handed your medallion! Now I have three hanging on the wall in my office.
Note: Click on the tab above for my "Cholesterol Down Plan" page for more information and some of my own healthy recipes (like Super Oatmeal) to be added soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment